One of the best ways to get involved with the American Institute of Constructors (AIC) is through our annual collegiate ethics competition. As of November 1, registration is open for the 2023 AIC Ethics Competition.
We invite representatives of colleges and universities across the U.S. to participate in the competition, which will take place virtually over Zoom during the period of January to March 2023.
Each competing school will have the opportunity to validate the credentials of their institution’s construction degree program by showcasing the ethical prowess of their students. The competition is also a great opportunity to grow the recognition and notoriety of your program in front of industry peers.
Key Dates for the 2023 AIC Ethics Competition
Throughout the competition, we will see which schools have the brightest minds and greatest appreciation for ethics in the construction industry. Take note of the following key dates to ensure your involvement:
- Registration Dates: November 1, 2022 – January 30, 2023.
- Competition Dates: January 31 – March 9, 2023.
When you register for the competition, you will be required to submit the name of your school, the names of each student participating, and the name of the coach. Schools that complete their application accurately and thoroughly will be considered for the competition.
Then, during the actual competition, we will require participation in a series of virtual meetings. All of the following pre-competition meetings and competition sessions will be held over Zoom:
- Mandatory Pre-Competition Meeting: January 31, 2023 at 2:00 p.m. CST.
- Ethical Prompt Issued: January 31.
- Availability for Questions: February 1-17 (email [email protected] for appointments).
- Written Response Due Date: February 21 by 6:00 p.m. CST.
- Invitations to Oral Presentations (AIC to send): March 1.
- Oral Presentations Date: March 7 from 10:00 a.m. to 3:00 p.m. CST.
- AIC Ethics Competition Awards Event: March 9.
Please note that the ethics prompt will be issued to each team following the pre-competition meeting on January 31st. Your team will also be assigned an Identification Number for the competition at the pre-competition meeting.
During the awards event on March 9th, we will unveil the team rankings and individual awards. We will also hold a debriefing and Q&A session to wrap up this year’s contest.
Who is Eligible to Participate in the 2023 AIC Ethics Competition?
We have high standards for the ethics competition. We ask that each interested institution satisfy fundamental eligibility requirements and guarantee their ability to participate in the competition throughout the contest period.
– Who can enter the competition? Any accredited construction program may enter a single team into the competition. We accept schools whose degree programs are certified by the American Council for Construction Education (ACCE), the Accreditation Board for Engineering and Technology (ABET), or both accreditation bodies.
– How many members per team? Each participating institution will create their own competition team consisting of up to 4 individuals.
– How does the actual competition work? Each team will prepare a written report, then a select number of teams will be invited to present oral arguments later on during the competition. These are the key elements:
- Each team will respond to the Ethics Prompt with a written report for review by a panel of AIC members.
- Invited teams will prepare and deliver an oral presentation to a panel of AIC members and leaders through Zoom.
- Both the written report and the oral presentation will be considered during the competition.
– For a detailed list of official rules, we ask that you review the information that is contained in the registration form.
Will You Join Our List of AIC Ethics Competition Winners?
We also awarded first, second, and third place rankings to the schools with the top written responses and oral responses. Take a moment to read the 2022 competition results to learn more about how our competition works.
– Will your school or university be next to enter the winner’s circle? Now is the time to prove the merits of your institution’s construction degree program. Register your school today to participate virtually in our competition!
Have questions about registration? Email [email protected] to receive answers to any specific questions you may have. We look forward to an exceptional 2023 AIC Ethics Competition.