Establish Your Career in Construction ManagementAIC Certification: Certified Associate Constructor (CAC) Level I Exam
Certified Associate Constructor (CAC) is the first level of certification in the Constructor Certification Program. This level of certification is ideal for recent graduates of a 4-Year Construction Management Program or those transitioning into construction management from other industries.
Professionals applying for the CAC Exam have a high level of skill and knowledge in managing and implementing the process of construction. Why is this important?
- CACs bring value to any project as they have a verified skill and knowledge level.
- CACs create peace of mind for project owners as a trustworthy, high-performing individual.
- CACs elevate the safety of a work site with confirmed knowledge of best practices.
- CACs seek continual professional improvement through our required Continuing Professional Development program.
- CACs agree to abide by the AIC Code of Ethics, which ensures that you are committed to being a professional and ethical member of the industry.
Spring 2024 CAC Exam Information
Take note of the following registration information and dates during the Spring 2024 exam window.
- Application Period (for professionals): February 10-February 20, 2024.
Students: do not apply online. You will receive an application form provided by your current college or university.
- Registration Period: February 23-March 4, 2024.
- Exam Window (for professionals): The computer-based exam window is April 6-14, 2024. Contact [email protected] for more information.
- National Exam Date for Paper/Pencil exam (students only): April 6, 2024. Your instructor will provide specific exam information.
- Fees and Qualifications: Please see below for the latest fee schedule and CAC qualifications for the Spring 2024 exam.
Fees For Certified Associate Construction Exam
Please note the following fee schedule for AIC members and non-AIC members. We encourage you to join AIC to take advantage of favorable pricing.
- Exam preparation fee (all): $50
- For University Students: $165 for the Paper / Pencil exam proctored at a university test site.
- For University Students: $200 for an Online proctored exam at a university test site.
- For non-students: $235 for the online exam at Kryterion testing centers.
The Result of Completing the CAC Level I Exam
Construction professionals that complete the CAC Level I Exam will be able to demonstrate a high level of skill and knowledge in managing the process of construction covering the following areas:
- Communication Skills
- Engineering Management
- Management Concepts
- Materials, Methods & Project Modeling
- Bidding and Estimating
- Budgeting, Costs & Cost Control
- Planning, Scheduling & Schedule Control
- Construction Safety
- Construction Geomatics
- Project Administration
- Newly Certified Members Receive an Official AIC Certificate
The Components of the CAC Level 1 Exam
The CAC Level I Exam is broken down into the following aspects:
- The CAC exam is made up of 300 multiple choice questions, given during two 4-hour sessions on a single day.
- The exam covers 10 separate sections to demonstrate that you have a core competency in construction and are ready to contribute meaningfully to the construction industry.
- The exam is given twice per year (spring and fall) at 60+ locations across the country.
- 50+ university Construction Management Programs currently administer the CAC exam. Most require the exam as part of their program curriculum.
Qualifications for the CAC Exam
- For Students: Graduated from / scheduled to graduate from an accredited 4-year Construction Management degree program.
- Note: Students who have not graduated yet should be within 12 months of graduating from a 4-year accredited degree program.
- For Professionals: Obtained 4 years of qualifying experience, education, or a combination of the two.
Contact AIC To Coordinate Certification Sessions
For administrator and university professionals looking to coordinate CAC or CPC certification sessions, please reach out directly to Brandon Pezzino at [email protected].