Maintain Your Commitment to Constructor Professionalism Participate in the AIC Recertification Program
Certified Constructors are required to participate in the Continuing Professional Development (CPD) Program. This program is designed to ensure our Certified Constructors maintain a high level of expertise throughout their career. Associate Constructors (AC) and Certified Professional Constructors (CPCs) each have unique reporting requirements to follow to ensure their Credentials remain in good standing.
ACs and CPCs must pay a $75 yearly CPD Fee. This fee is billed in October each year. This fee is waived for any AC or CPC that is also a member of the AIC. Both AC and CPCs may join AIC as a member. Please note that AIC Certification is not membership within AIC. You may be an AC or CPC and not a member, but are welcome and encouraged to join.
AIC Recertification: Certified Professional Constructor CPD Program Requirements
– CPD Credit Hours Requirement: CPCs must obtain 32 CPD credit hours every 24 months. These credits are classified in two areas — Education or Membership & Service—and are earned as follows:
- 1 Hour of Coursework or Service = 1 CPD Credit Hour.
Upon earning the CPC designation, you will be assigned a Certification End date. The two years prior to that date will be your Certification Review Period, which is the period of time you will report your CPD Hours for.
– Education CPD Credit Hours: A minimum of 20 hours per 2 year period must be earned in this category. Any course that can be reasonably assumed to enhance a Constructor’s ability to manage the execution of construction projects. These can be obtained by attending conferences, webinars, or company training.
– Membership & Service CPD Credit Hours: A maximum of 12 hours per 2 year period can be earned in this category. These credits are earned by volunteer activity to charitable organizations, membership within the AIC, leadership of an association, or submitting exam questions for use on the AC or CPC Exams.
– Recertification Process for CPCs: 90% of CPCs will be asked to submit the CPD Affidavit Form. This form will ask that CPC to attest that they have earned the required 32 CPD Hours during their Certification Review Period. CPCs will be notified in November that they are required to submit this online form prior to their Certification End Date, and this form is required to be submitted before March 15. The CPD Affidavit Form does not require CPCs to submit back-up documentation of their earned CPD Hours.
CPCs can log and track their continuing education credits by using the CPD Journal.
– CPD Audits: Each year, 10% of CPCs will be required to undergo a CPD Audit. This requires CPCs to submit back-up documentation of the CPD Credit Hours they earned for the requested Certification Review Period. CPCs will be asked to submit certificates of attendance, verification from sponsor organizations, or any other type of confirmation to prove their participation in the claimed CPD Credit Hour sessions. CPCs submit a CPD Ledger detailing their hours for the period in addition to the backup documentation.
For more information on the CPC CPD Program, including definitions and forms, please download the CPD Requirements Document.
– Associate Constructor CPD Program Requirements: Associate Constructors are not required to obtain CPD Credit Hours. Once certified, an AC will be given a Certification End Date, which is two full years from their Certification Date. At the end of that two-year period and subsequent two year periods, an AC must submit the AC CPD Reporting Form. This form asks the AC to update their contact information, work history over the two year period, and if they attended any continuing education courses.
The form must be signed by the AC’s work supervisor. This form is requested in October before an AC’s Certification End date and is due back by March 15.
– AC to CPC: Associate Constructors must attempt to sit for the CPC exam within 10 years after being awarded the AC credential. Those who do not will be required to sit for the AC exam in order to maintain the AC credential. Those earning the AC prior to 2013 have until 2023 to sit for the CPC exam.
Like CPCs, ACs must pay a yearly CPD Fee of $75. This fee is waived if the AC is also a member of the AIC. AC Certification is not AIC Membership, as you may be certified but not an AIC Member. ACs are welcome and encouraged to join the AIC.
For more information on the AC CPD Program and to download the AC CPD Reporting Form, please download the Continuing Professional Development Program Requirements.
Other Important AIC Recertification Information
– Download the Full CPD Requirements Document, including all forms and information for both AC and CPCs.
– Purchase a special AIC Certificate Frame to display your AC or CPC Certificate from our partner, Framing Success.
– For information on the AC Level 1 Recertification, click here: Associate Constructor Recertification Form