Each year, the American Institute of Constructors (AIC) recognizes organizational members who have clearly distinguished themselves in the construction industry. Constructors who meet specific criteria have the opportunity to be invited to the AIC College of Fellows:
- Maintain an AIC classification of Professional Member or a CPC for at least 10 years.
- Possess a distinguished background of service to the construction community.
- Be in good standing as an AIC member.
- At least 40 years of age.
- Commit to promoting the AIC mission.
Members who satisfy these requirements have the opportunity to receive the highest honor given by our organization. An AIC Fellow must hold a position of eminence in the industry, be elected by a majority of current Fellows, and demonstrate a consistent pattern of professional performance.
After a thorough review of this year’s nominees, we are proud to welcome an accomplished group of constructors and educators to this distinguished fraternity.
The 2023 AIC College of Fellows
This year, these individuals join a list of distinguished constructors who make up the AIC College of Fellows:
- Dr. Lana Coble, CPC
- Joe Kranz, CPC
- Mark Hall, CPC
- Murray Papendorf, CPC
- Tom Smithey, CPC
These inductees were recognized during our annual forum in February that took place during the American Council for Construction Education (ACCE) Mid-Year Conference in Texas. We would like to share more information about each of these new fellows.
– Dr. Lana Coble, CPC joined AIC in 2012 and is a lifetime member of our organization. She has served as Vice President (2020-2022), Marketing Committee Chair, Events/Education Chair, Board Member, and Journal Reviewer.
During her career, Dr. Coble has served as a bridge to the education community, specifically the University of Houston. She helped establish a scholarship for Houston Construction Management Students who are AIC student members, and she serves as adjunct faculty at the U. of Houston, teaching CAC Level 1 Exam Prep.
Dr. Coble is the author of the book, “Collaborative Risk Mitigation Through Construction Planning and Scheduling – Risk Doesn’t Have to Be a Four Letter Word,” and the journal, “Construction Industry Professional Perception of Project Management – Certification in the Houston Texas Region.”
– Joe Kranz, CPC has been a member of AIC since 2006. He jumped right into service in 2007 as a CPC Examination Committee member. He served as the Exam Committee Writing Skills Sub-Committee Chairman from 2008-2015. He was also on the CPC Board of Governors from 2016-2019.
Currently, Joe serves as a CPC Exam Committee Member. Professionally, he is Project Executive for the Gilbane Building Company. He is one of the leading advocates of the CPC exam in the construction field, helping bridge gaps between industry and certification to accelerate constructor excellence.
– Mark Hall, CPC has been in the construction industry since 1975. He is a distinguished leader in the industry and in our organization, having participated as an AIC member for 25+ years.
During his time with AIC, Mark has held positions that include Board of Directors, Board Treasurer, Membership Committee member, and Ethics Committee member. He has also participated as a Corporate Sponsor for 10+ years.
Professionally, he has been the president of Hall Construction Co. for 30+ years. He previously served in professional roles such as VP and Project Executive, Sr. Project Manager, Sr. Estimator, and Project Engineer. He brings a wealth of construction knowledge and experience to our industry to help guide the next generation of construction leaders.
– Murray Papendorf, CPC, is currently on the AIC Board of Directors serving as the Treasurer. He also serves as the Chair of the Finance Committee and participates in the Marketing Committee.
For seven years, Murray has served on the Constructor Certification Commission’s Exam Committee. He is deeply committed to the integrity of our exams to ensure they meet the highest testing standards in the industry.
Professionally, Murray has participated in the construction industry for more than 30 years. He has held various roles, including Manager, Director of Construction, Vice President, and Project Manager. He has served the industry as an Adjunct Professor, ACCE accreditation team member, and ACCE industry liaison committee member.
– Tom Smithey, CPC, has been a valued member of AIC for several years, including serving on the Constructor Certification Commission as a Board of Governor for two terms. He currently plays an important role by serving on the Commission’s Exam Committee.
Tom has served the industry for decades, including holding the position of VP, Program Management, for HICAPS, Inc. from 1999 to 2020. During his distinguished career, he has also held positions such as Senior Project Manager and Construction Operations Manager / Safety Director.
Tom’s service to the profession also includes serving on the NASCLA Committee for National Contractor Exam, the Licensing Board for General Contractors in North Carolina, and within the Insurance Institute of America (IIA) as an Associate in Loss Control Management.
Help a Current AIC Member Become an AIC Fellow
The College of Fellows is a community of acclaimed AIC members. These individuals have clearly separated themselves in the industry, making them worthy of recognition as an AIC Fellow.
Each year, we receive nominations for the AIC College of Fellows. To be considered, nominees must be endorsed by at least two high-ranking AIC members. The individuals who are nominated must then receive a majority vote to be approved by the current College of Fellows.
Check back at the end of 2023 to find out how to nominate a deserving AIC member for this recognition. You can also access the directory of current AIC College of Fellows to connect with our most distinguished constructors.
– Not a current AIC member? We encourage you to get involved in AIC to advance your career path in construction. Learn more about how to join our organization.